Free PD for teachers from the North East Kingdom and Northern New Hampshire
Spring 2020 Teacher Learning Team:
North Country, VT
Energy and climate in NGSS for teachers of grades K–12 starts April 28
North Country Science Teacher Learning Team Seminar is a professional development program for teachers that integrates energy literacy, and the three-dimensional learning of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Through the course, teachers develop mini-instructional sequences, incorporating project-based learning that helps students take action to reduce the impact of energy use on our environment. The programming is dynamic and responsive to teachers’ classroom needs, and includes deep exploration of the three dimensions of NGSS, hands-on energy lessons, exploration of project-based learning, and individualized classroom support from VEEP to include developing/writing a mini-storyline unit and networking with other teachers in your region.
This course uses a constructivist, NGSS-based approach of hands-on, minds-on learning activities followed by action inquiry and reflective discussions. The goal is to provide each participant with experiences as learner/teacher using guided discovery, hands-on inquiry explorations, co-teaching, and deep dives into energy core ideas that enable them to build concepts about energy content and best teaching practices and engage students in action projects.
Teachers will be supported by VEEP staff through:
- Three all-day meeting during the school week.
Teachers will receive:
- Free student workshop available through end of 2020.
- Individualized support to develop your mini instructional unit.
Graduate credit & PD hours:
- Teachers can choose whether to take this course for two graduate credits ($400), or for 30 PD hours ($0). Contact email@example.com for scholarship information.
Schedule & location:
- All-day, in-person meeting at North Country Union High School Career Center (Room 380) on April 28, 8:30 am–4:00 pm
- Follow-up afternoon meetings at North Country Supervisory Union Central Office (Room A209) on May 15 and June 18 or 19 (if needed due to snow days), 8:30-4:00 pm
The registration form can be found here. Please mail completed form to VEEP, 79 River Street, Suite 303 Montpelier, VT 05602 or register by filling out the webform below.
Register for the Spring 2020 Teacher Learning Team